Travelling in trains is one of the most convenient and undoubtedly the most popular means of communication from one city to another in India. With great fare prices and moderate arrangements, a lot of people can afford to travel by trains and hence they are so widely popular!
Well if you have never travelled in an Indian train before, especially an overnight journey, then there are few things that you should definitely know about it, that nobody really mentions. These are the seemingly insignificant details, but they matter a lot in practical terms. So if you are gearing up for your first Indian overnight train journey,
Then here are some factors to keep in mind:
- Unlike in most other countries, you will find people constantly shifting their seats and adjusting berth numbers with the permission of the TT so that they can seat with their family members or the ones that they are travelling with. So do not fret if your seat number does not match with your fellow travellers. You can always talk to the TT and if possible then he will surely make arrangements so that you can sit with them throughout your journey.
- The lowest travelling fare is in the general compartment. However there are no reservations there. Well if you have general compartment tickets, then it is best to arrive early and queue up in front of your compartment door. There are guards who will help you to queue up and let you aboard the train one by one. Do not rush or create a ruckus and it is best to follow the rules that are already in place, rather than trying to break them.
- When it comes to overnight travelling, one of the most important things to consider is the food. Most overnight trains have pantry cars and hence you will be able to get food from there or you can carry some with you. However did you know that you can now Online Food Order in Train and have it delivered to you at a station! You can choose your choice of restaurant and have the food delivered right to your berth. This opens up a lot of more options for you and hence if you want you can always opt for this cool new feature. All you need to do is have the right app downloaded in your phone.
- If you are looking for comfort for your overnight journey, but want to save up a little too on cash, then the best way to travel is by booking seats in a AC three tier sleeper. These coaches have comfortable arrangements and hence you will enjoy a more or less pleasant journey, apart from the occasional snoring of co-passengers.
- And last but not the least it is very important to book your tickets as soon as the booking counter opens, especially in high demand trains if you want to get the best seats and more importantly, get reserved seats at the first go!