You have bought your dream car. Now, to make it run smoothly for a long time, it is essential to maintain it properly. Everyone likes their car to be in top condition, but it is crucial to maintaining every part of it in the best possible manner.
Moreover, maintaining every part of the vehicle in an optimum way is likely to increase its performance, and lower repairs & maintenance cost.
Here, we shall take a look at some essential Car Maintenance Tips.
The New Car Maintenance Tips
- Consider driving a brand new car under 55 mph or to the one recommended by the manufacturer.
- Avoid having heavy loads on the drive train and loading the roof rack or the trunk with heavy construction materials.
- Avoid keeping a brand-new car in the idle mode for extended periods, especially during break-in.
- Always use light to medium acceleration for the first few hours of driving.
Every Day Caring Tips
- Avoid racing car’s engine during start-up, as it may quickly add years wear to your engine, especially if it is cold outside.
- Start driving slowly because the higher damage to the engine occurs in the first 10-20 minutes of operation.
- Always shift to neutral at red lights to avoid strain on the engine and automatic transmission.
- Do not drive at high speeds when it is too hot or cold outside. It may result in more frequent repairs.
- Drive carefully and extend the life of tires.
- Do not hold the steering wheel in an extreme right or left for more than a few seconds. It may damage the power-steering pump.
Fill The Fuel At Reputable Gas Pumps
The quality of the fuel plays a significant role in keeping a car in safe condition. Therefore, always buy gas from reputed service stations. Inquire with the station if they have a policy about changing the pump filters regularly. It is advisable not to take any chances with poor quality gasoline or fuel.
Go Easy When You Are Stuck
When stuck in snow or mud, always try to be gentle with the engine. Continually spinning the tires at high speeds can generate a lot of heat, which may result in troubles for transmissions, clutches, and differentials. Call in for a tow truck to resolve the problem. It will be cheaper than the big repair bills down the road.
Do Not Overload Your Keychain
Does your car key share a dozen other keys? Then, it is the high time to lighten its weight. Yes, it is true. It can create a pretty heavy load when it is hanging in the ignition. Moreover, it can ruin its tumblers and can eventually lead to ignition switch failure. Therefore, purchase a light-weight keychain that allows separating the ignition key from the others. Make sure to drive with only the ignition key. Note that if the ignition key sticks when you try to turn on the car, it is an indication of replacing it.
Select A Good Car Insurer
Disasters happen without informing. When the car is brand-new, it is important to take its insurance from a reputable insurance company. It will be helpful even when the car gets old. Having insurance can lighten the pocket expenses in the case of accidents or damages.
Keep A Record
Keep a notepad and pencil in the glove compartment and make sure to note the gas fill-ups and mileage, which helps in determining the mileage. If it is worsening, then contact your car service station in this regards. It may indicate that something is wrong with the car.
Long-Term Storage Tips
When the car is not in use for a month or more, it crucial to storing it properly; to prevent unnecessary damage and repairs upon your return. Always park it under a shade.
- Fill the gas tank to prevent condensation from accumulating in the gas tank.
- Wash and wax it well to protect the finish.
- Place the car on jack stands to avoid its weight on the wheels and tires.
- Avoid the draining of the battery by removing and discharging it.
Thus, the steps we discussed above can effectively help in maintaining a car in a brand-new condition.