Levaquin is categorized as a class of antibiotic called fluroquinolones that acts by killing the bacteria causing infection. Levaquin over the years has been a most commonly prescribed antibiotic for the treatment of bacterial infections of the skin, kidney, bladder or prostate; other then these the medication was also prescribed for treating infections that resulted in bronchitis, sinus and pneumonia. Levaquin or popularly known as levofloxacin is capable of treating patients who were exposed to the deadly anthrax. On the flip side when the medicine is over prescribed was known to cause serious side effects or what is called the levaquin injuries. In the recent past many law suits have been filled against the manufacturers where they have been accused of not revealing the dangerous side effects.
Risks of using Levaquin
The general side effects caused by the antibiotic include nausea, stomach pain, constipation, heart burn etc. These side effects are known to subside with time but if the condition persists or is worsened immediately contact the doctor. Apart from these the antibiotic also has the tendency to cause certain serious side effects as well if not administered properly. The first being it puts you at a risk of developing tendinitis or rupturing the tendon. The former is a swelling in the tissue connecting the bone to a muscle and the later is the tearing of the same tissue. The levaquin injuries may occur during the treatment or even several months after the treatment. These types of injuries are generally known to affect the tendon in your shoulder, back of the ankle or your hand majorly.
Precautions to follow before taking Levaquin
To make sure that you do not fall into the risk of contracting various side effects resulting due to the use and abuse of levaquin it is necessary to follow certain precautions. Apart from this tell your doctor if you have any of the following conditions.
- If you are allergic to quinolone or fluoroquinolone antibiotics or any other ingredients that are constituted in the levaquin tablets and solution.
- Doctor must have the prior information if you are using any kind of medications or mineral and vitamin supplements. Particularly if your medications include blood thinners like warfarin.
- If your any other family member has a history of irregular heart beats or a recent heart attack.
- Inform your doctor before hand if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant in the near future. Also it is important to inform if you are breast feeding.
- Any case of diabetes with low blood sugar levels or if you have low levels of potassium or magnesium in the blood should be brought to the notice of your treating doctor.
- A history of epilepsy or other seizure disorder.
A important information to be kept in mind is that one should immediately stop taking levaquin if you are experiencing sudden pain, stiffness, bruising or any movement problems in your joints. Resume the course only after receiving proper care and medical treatment.